MAKE A SHORT FILM! WIN CASH AND PRIZES! WITH THE 2017 SOUTH CAROLINA YOUNG FILMMAKERS PROJECT!
The 2017 Young Filmmakers Project is now closed. The Top Ten will be announced in December 2017, with a red carpet screening at the Nickelodeon Theater on January 20, 2018, where the winners will be announced. Check back here for more updates, and sign-up for our email list for notifications and more information on grants, workshops, and other contests.
Designed to foster media arts skills and bring attention to the next generation of South Carolina filmmakers, the Young Filmmakers Project is an annual statewide high school filmmaking competition hosted by Trident Technical College and the South Carolina Film Commission. All high school students in grades 9-12 who are residents of South Carolina are eligible to enter the short film competition, including public, private and home school students.
To participate, students must create a short film (two minutes max) telling a cinematic story in any genre, following the creative challenge and all rules.
Entries will be scored by a panel of independent judges on the criteria described below. Top Ten scorers will screen at a special program, where winners will be announced. First Prize receives $500, Second Prize $300, and Third Prize $200.
Use your imagination! Be clever and creative! Most importantly, tell a story. You could win cash, prizes and a spot on the red carpet.
Deadline for entries is midnight on Monday, October 9, 2017. To enter, follow these instructions:
Each short film entry must somehow include this specific prop - a padlock and key. Any lock and key will work. A brand new one, old fashioned with skeleton key, an animated version, etc. Use creativity to fit it into your story, and pick one that works with your film's design and tone.
1. Each entrant must be a high school student (grades 9-12) currently living in South Carolina during the 2017-2018 school year. Students graduating from high school in 2017 may enter, as long as their entry is uploaded and registration form submitted by their graduation date.
2. Each entrant may only enter once.
3. Films must be at least 30-seconds long and no longer than two minutes.
4. All entries must follow the Creative Challenge above, and have at least one 3-second shot of the assigned prop (padlock and key).
HOW TO ENTER:
1. Make an awesome short film, following the contest guidelines and shooting requirements.
2. Upload your film to either YouTube or Vimeo by midnight ET on Oct. 9, 2017.
3. Tag your video with "SC YOUNG FILMMAKERS" once you've uploaded it.
4. Complete and submit the official entry form here. Online entry form must be submitted and received by midnight ET, Oct. 9, 2017.
Films will be judged by a panel of independent judges on the following:
- Script and Story, including approach to the creative challenge (use of padlock and key)
- Production Value
- Design, including graphics, special effects, production design, sets, costumes, etc.
- Overall Impact
View last year's winning short films here. And check out the contest video below: