The 2018/2019 YOUNG FILMMAKERS PROJECT is now closed! We had a record number of entries and judges are now scoring all the short films. Top Ten finishers will be announced in April. The Top Ten short films will screen at a special event at the Nickelodeon Theater in Columbia, SC, on May 11, where the winners will be announced. Thanks to all who entered!
MAKE A SHORT FILM! WIN CASH AND PRIZES! WITH THE 2018/19 SOUTH CAROLINA YOUNG FILMMAKERS PROJECT!
Designed to foster media arts skills and bring attention to the next generation of South Carolina filmmakers, the Young Filmmakers Project is an annual statewide high school filmmaking competition hosted by Trident Technical College and the South Carolina Film Commission. All South Carolina high school students (grades 9-12), including public, private and home school students, are eligible to enter.
To participate, students must create a short film (two minutes max) telling a cinematic story in any genre, following the Creative Challenge and all rules.
Entries will be scored by a panel of independent judges based on the criteria described below. Top Ten scorers will screen at a special screening program, where winners will be announced. First Prize receives $500, Second Prize $300, and Third Prize $200.
Make your films as strong as possible. The YFP RESOURCE PAGE contains links, guides, and tutorials on screenwriting, storyboarding, camerawork, lighting, editing, sound effects, music and more.
Use your imagination! Be clever and creative! Most importantly, tell a story. You could win cash, prizes and a spot on the red carpet.
Deadline for entries is midnight on March 11, 2019. To enter, follow these instructions:
Each short film entry must somehow include this specific prop - a compass. Any type is allowed. A brand new one, old fashioned, an animated version, etc. Use creativity to fit it into your story, and pick one that works with your film's design and tone.
1. Each entrant must be a high school student (grades 9-12) living in South Carolina during the 2018-2019 school year.
2. Each entrant may only enter once.
3. Films must be at least 30-seconds long and no longer than two minutes.
4. All entries must follow the Creative Challenge above, and have at least one 3-second shot of the assigned prop (a compass).
5. The entering high school student must be the primary creator of each entry (story, characters, visual elements, etc.). Entrants are allowed outside help (as filmmaking is a collaborative process), but student participants must be the writer, director, and primary creative force.
HOW TO ENTER:
1. Make an awesome short film, following the contest guidelines and shooting requirements.
2. Upload your film to either YouTube or Vimeo by midnight ET on March 8, 2019.
3. Tag your video with "SC YOUNG FILMMAKERS" once you've uploaded it.
4. COMPLETE AND SUBMIT THE OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM HERE. Online entry form must be submitted and received by midnight ET, March 11, 2019.
Films will be judged by a panel of independent judges on the following:
*Script and Story, including approach to the Creative Challenge (use of compass)
*Design, including graphics, special effects, production design, sets, costumes, etc.
View last year's winning short films here.